Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cloth diaper review...

We LOVE our cloth diapers!!  We both agree this was a great decision, especially after changing PJs, sheets, blankets, etc in the middle of the night when the little houdini kicked so much his disposable diaper slipped down to his knees.  Thus, the runny poop was all over EVERYTHING...and it was 2 or 3 am.  Jeff was a forever cloth diaper man after that.  He put the disposable on during the night, stating it would "just be easier for now."  He hasn't done that again.

So, if anyone is interested, here is our current stash.  We have yet to determine the cost effectiveness of this stash, as it depends on how long the houdini stays in them.  I believe he could use our current diapers until 4 to 6 months of age.   From my calculations, we break even at about 2-3 months of age.  The calculators I use online account for water and drying costs.  Since we are in Arizona, I am able to dry everything outside quickly, so no drying costs for us.  

I'm going to review them here, I am thankful for everyone else's reviews online that I used to make my decisions.

3 Thirsties covers, size small.  We love these covers.  We've used them from day one, and still are on the smallest setting, they say these can last us until 9 months of age (depending on how fast he grows).  If the insert isn't fitting good around the legs, this cover catches everything.  We could use 1 or 2 more of these.  We wash them once a day but usually a bit more frequently because we have a leak onto it.  That occurs when we are too lazy about the way we put the prefold on.

24 prefolds, infant size. AMAZING.  Yup, the old fashioned diapers.  The most cost effective seems to also be the most effective.  A couple of times putting these things on and you are a pro. NBD - no big deal.  We like these so much we are considering buying the same ones in a bigger size when he outgrows them.  Will probably fit him until 6 months or so.   All stains from baby poop come out in the sun.  Oh yea, these dry super fast hanging outside.  Of course, you need to use a cover with these.  The one time I didn't, he peed right through, onto me.

2 newborn kissaluvs.  The snaps are a pain in the butt when you have a screaming, hungry, kicking houdini to deal with.  Though, these are probably the cutest diapers we own.  They don't leak, and you rarely need to change the covers because these have some kickin (no pun intended) elastic around the legs.  Our little houdini loves to do bicycle kicks when angry...he's got rockin abs I'm sure.

4 perfect size Fuzzibunz, size small.  I don't remember how much I paid for them, I got them on babysteals.com.  These are supposed to fit from 7 lbs to 18 lbs.   This is an all in two diaper, so you have a cover that you stuff with an absorbent microfiber pad.  Grant was 9 lbs 4 oz last week and these still seem a bit big, although he is very long and skinny.  They leak...I don't know why.  I suspect it either has to do with them being too big still, or the microfiber isn't absorbing.   There is also a fleece liner which may not be absorbing either.   The downside to these is that you have two pieces to wash and then you have to stuff the liner back into the diaper after you wash them.  You stuff the liner into the pocket of the cover, so you have to wash the cover every time.  Both pieces dry fast.

With all of these diapers, I still do laundry about once daily...I can stretch it to a day and a half if I really want to.  We run out of covers first...I may buy one more to help us only do laundry every other day.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah! So happy the cloth diapers are working so well for you! And too funny about Grant the Houdini! He must prefer the cloth diapers, too, if he escapes the disposables. Lol!

    ReplyDelete